What we are looking for
We are searching for an enthusiastic, proactive and motivated Full Stack Developer with experience in PHP, LARAVEL 5,or otherweb frameworks, and DEVOPS practices to become the main in-house developer of the App OdourCollect (and progressively new Apps and IT Tools to come). In this role, you will develop the professional version of the App following our commercial strategy. This includes developing interactive capabilities and other functionalities, such as automatic data analysis, visualisation and reporting, integration with other data coming from different sources, incorporating automatic reporting per typology of users, communication capabilities, social network and/or gamification features, monitoring of KPIs/metrics such as the number of users or the user activity, and incorporating machine learning elements to predict different events.
OdourCollect is a citizen science webapp. Citizens can report quickly and in real time ambient odours, which are recorded at the time and place where they are detected to be included on a global map. The latest version of OdourCollect is available for use on the web, iOS and Android operating systems. The code of the App is open source and available in GitHub. We currently have more than 10.000 odour observations and more than 1.750 registered users, distributed in different countries around the globe. For the development of the professional version of the App, the use of the co-design methodology developed by SfC in the COS4CLOUD project will be considered, where users (citizens and other stakeholders, such as environmental authorities or odour emitting industries) and previous D-NOSES partners will be invited to participate to ideate the new features of the App (both in the front and the backend) following a user-centred perspective.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this job position, the candidate will become the main in-house developer of the App OdourCollect, a LARAVEL webapp designed to geolocate, report and follow up incidents of odour pollution, with communities actively engaged worldwide. The candidate will team up with a PhD in Atmospheric Physics or similar, who will be in charge of technically designing the new developments of the webapp (including dispersion modelling, coupling with meteorological data and sensor data, etc.) to ensure scientific robustness, one expert in odour pollution, plus the CEO and a project manager with computer systems background in order to ensure the proper evolution and maintenance of the project. Liaison will also include the communication team to develop new functionalities to communicate with the citizens and other stakeholders using the app, to provide feedback, maintain the engagement and include some social network or gamification features.
The work includes the following tasks:
- Building frontend and backend high-performance systems and web development.
- General maintenance of OdourCollect’s open source code base and discussion at GitHub.
- Planification and implementation of the backend (Laravel, PHP) and frontend (VUE, JS, HTML, CSS) features as the backlog is being updated.
- Building a set of tools for data analytics and data visualisation, by using technologies such as pandas, kepler, Phyton, etc.
- Creating testing environments with respective automated tests.
- Opportunity to work closely with experienced data scientists and support to external partners that collaborate with the project providing feedback and testing on the field.
- Possibility of co-design parts of the code with international developers in the framework of the COS4CLOUD project and the upcoming ECS project using the co-design methodology for IT services developed by SfC.
- Working in scrum agile methodologies, with biweekly catch up meetings.
- Setting up and maintaining a CI/CD pipeline, with proper testing, pre-production and production environments. You’ll have the opportunity to work with technologies such as Docker, Jenkins, AWS, etc.
- Setting up app’s observability: monitoring dashboards, filters, alarms, logging, etc.
The workload between the two work areas will be, approximately:
- 80% DEVELOPMENT
- 20% DEVOPS
Training and skills
We are looking for a proactive, responsible and methodical person with a solid background in LARAVEL 5-like web frameworks and all the technologies and languages associated (PHP, JS, HTML, CSS, MySQL), who feels good working autonomously while being part of a motivated interdisciplinary team.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Maths, Telecommunications, Physics or similar are preferred, but highly experienced people with undergraduate education in Information Technology are also welcome.
- Relevant experience in LARAVEL 5-like web frameworks and all the technologies and languages associated with it, including frontend technologies such as Vue/React/Angular, JS, HTML, CSS.
- Familiarity with source code management (git/etc), remote build tools and CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience in working in an iterative, agile technology product development environment.
- Scaling web/mobile applications while considering security and technical optimization.
- Ability to use analytics tools to answer behavioural questions and drive design decisions (Google Analytics, Mixpanel, etc) is a plus.
- Experience with Python or similar libraries/frameworks for data analysis and visualisation.
- Experience with running production workloads on the AWS platform or similar (Google Cloud Platform, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.).
- Experience with monitoring tools and data/logs analytics tools.
- Experience with docker and orchestration tools.
- Experience with Data Science techniques is a plus.
- Experience or contribution to high-profile open-source projects is a plus.
- Ability to estimate feature and project timelines
- Technical analysis, strong attention to detail, research and problem-solving skills.
- A team player, someone people like to work with.
- An eye for connecting user behaviour with simple, clean and intuitive UI.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and collaboration skills.
- Ability to cooperate with non technical team mates towards a common goal.
- Someone who is great at figuring stuff out and gets things done.
- Good attitude towards change and uncertainty in agile projects.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Commitment with writing user and API documentation.
English at a professional level. Spanish and Catalan are a plus.
What we offer
- Full-time position and permanent contract.
- Long-term projects (12m+) with great customers.
- Possibility to work remotely two days a week (or full remote work depending on the value of the candidate).
- Flexible working hours.
- Democratic management style & friendly environment.
- Competitive salary according to the candidate value.
- Yearly bonus related to pre-defined objectives.
- The company can also offer health insurance and other social benefits within the payroll (daily allowances, etc.).
- A young and motivated interdisciplinary team.
- Cosy office in the centre of the city ready to be used by the end of March.
- Coffee, cookies, fruit and other goodies.
- Professional and personal growth.
How to apply
- An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to the HR & Emotional Care Manager before June, 3rd 2022:
- Nora Salas Seoane: email@example.com
- The recruitment process will start as soon as potential candidates apply to the offer.
- The company will get in contact with the selected candidates advising on the next steps in the recruitment process.
- Availability to join us ASAP