Science for Change (SfC) is a SME born from the will to tackle societal challenges affecting communities using innovative solutions. SfC specializes in developing user-centered, innovative services and products based on citizen science, participatory strategies, community engagement and co-creation processes to facilitate social innovation. It focuses on environmental issues affecting citizens, or any other matters of concern, and uses a methodology based on a quadruple helix model of stakeholder engagement (public authorities and policy makers, industries and SMEs, academia, and communities, NGOs and CSOs, among others), to promote dialogue, increase transparency, and co-design innovative solutions that are relevant to all the stakeholders involved. SfC empower communities using a bottom-up approach to co-design local solutions adapted to each local case, while promoting social innovation and the participation of citizens in decision-making processes that affect their quality of life. The company works at local, national, European and global levels coordinating the European projects D-NOSES and NEWSERA, so as participating as partners in several Research and Innovation/Citizen Science projects such as TRANSFORM, COS4CLOUD, HOOP, STEP CHANGE and ENJOI.
Science for Change is based in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat (Barcelona).
Given the current situation with the Covid-19 pandemic, the team is now working from home.
What we are looking for
We are searching for a student of a Design or a Design Engineering Degree, or a student of a Master’s Degree of a spanish university, related to the fields of co-design, co-creation, graphic design, design thinking, design processes and design methodologies. The student could develop their degree or master’s dissertation in the field of co-design, with the potential of continuing working within the company.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this job position, the candidate will become a specialist in applying co-design strategies to European projects related to the field of Citizen Science. Training will be offered in house until the right candidate will be able to work autonomously developing co-design methodologies and facilitating co-design workshops.
The work includes contribution to commercial activities, writing of technical methodology documents, implementation of co-design processes, workshops and activities in citizen science-related projects, statistical analysis of the data collected in the workshops, training in co-design and design thinking, participation in events with representatives of the quadruple helix model (citizens, industries, policymakers and academia), participation in scientific events and conferences, writing of scientific papers, writing of scientific reports and proposals of new projects, among others.
Since co-design strategies are needed in all the projects of the company, the job will be quite transversal, and the candidate will be dedicated above all to the organization, design, development and facilitation of co-design workshops for EU-funded projects and beyond.
Training and skills
We are looking for a proactive, trustful, enthusiastic, responsible and methodical person with excellent writing and communication skills who feels good working autonomously while being part of a highly interdisciplinary team, eager to learn about design thinking strategies and methodologies.
- Currently coursing a Degree in Design, Design Engineering, or a Master’s Degree in the fields of co-design, co-creation, design thinking, design processes and/or design methodologies.
- Advanced level of English.
- Attention to detail.
- Relevant experience and/or knowledge in co-design, co-creation, graphic design, design thinking, design processes and/or design methodologies.
- Real interest in applying co-design strategies in European Citizen Science projects.
- Problem solving and analysis skills to write technical quotations.
- Great writing skills to produce scientific reports and papers and any other required documentation.
- Communication abilities and interest in participatory methodologies to involve citizens, industries, policymakers and academia.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Interest in applying design thinking techniques to different fields of research, science and technology.
- Ability to use Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Miro and Wordpress.
English at a professional level, Spanish and Catalan.
- Starting date: September, or as soon as possible.
- Half time position (with the possibility to turn into a full time position after the student finishes the master’s degree).
- Intern contract and salary of 500€ gross per month. The contract and salary conditions will be agreed with the candidate if the continuity working for the company becomes effective.
How to apply
- An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to Nora Salas Seoane at email@example.com.
- The company will get in contact with the candidates advising on the next steps in the recruitment process.