What we are looking for
We are searching for an enthusiastic, creative, proactive and extremely organised candidate for a Torres Quevedo Postdoctoral Contract 2023-2026 in Science Education at Science For Change to be submitted to the industrial research programme. We are looking for a person with expertise on developing pedagogical contents and materials for higher education, and/or for formal, informal and non-formal education, with experience and/or interest in Citizen Science, Participatory Research, Co-design and Science Communication.
The candidate selected will not be able to participate in any other Torres Quevedo application as the submission of the proposal is associated with a unique candidate.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this postdoctoral job contract, the candidate will strengthen his/her Science Education expertise by designing, co-developing and implementing Higher Education, Formal, Informal and Non-formal Education programmes in the topics of Citizen Science, Participatory Science, RRI, Gender and inclusivity, Science to Policy, Science Communication, Public engagement with science and STEAM careers, amongst others. The position will be quite transversal to the different projects of the company where the candidate will be involved in European, national, regional and local projects, together with Business Development Activities to design, promote, launch and carry out Formal, Informal and Non-formal Science Educational activities in higher education institutions, research centres, public institutions, schools and non-formal or informal learning spaces, such as Museums, Libraries and more.
These tasks entail:
- Design, plan and implement the establishment of a business development model for innovative products, services and toolkits for science education in citizen science, participatory science, RRI, gender and inclusivity, science to policy, co-design and science communication, among others, for different educational levels, including formal, informal and non-formal education targeting higher education (during all stages of the academic research career) and primary and secondary education in formal and alternative spaces (museums, libraries, community spaces, etc.) in coordination with the Business Development Strategy of the company.
- Carry out the design, planning, implementation, analysis and evaluation of formal, informal and non-formal science education programmes, strategies or initiatives.
- Participate and support in the design and implementation of learning and co-creation courses, trainings, workshops and activities in science education, science communication and/or citizen science-related projects.
- Participate and support the facilitation of training sessions in topics such as Citizen Science, Participatory Science, RRI, Gender and inclusivity, Science to Policy, Science Communication and STEAM education, among others. The contents of the programmes will be cocreated together with the SFC team.
- Participate in events with representatives of science education, the quadruple helix model (citizens, industries, policymakers and academia), third sector, science communication and media.
- Participation and networking in scientific events and conferences.
- Writing up scientific papers, reports, project proposals, commercial offers, among others.
Training and skills
We are looking for a proactive, trustful, enthusiastic, responsible and methodical person with a PhD in Science Education or similar, design and creativity skills who feels good working autonomously while being part of a highly interdisciplinary team, eager to work on science education applied in citizen science, science communication and participatory research, amongst other relevant topics.
- PhD in the fields of Science Education or similar must have been obtained and defended before the period of the grant application (21st February 2023), the certificate will be required. The PhD title can come from a Spanish University or a University elsewhere in the world. If the PhD title comes from a non-Spanish University, the certificate will need to be translated either in English or Spanish.
- Experience and relevant interest in Higher Education, Formal, Informal and Non-formal Education, Citizen Science, Participatory Science and Science Communication.
- Experience and relevant interest in Business Development Initiatives within Education. Experience and knowledge in marketing and communication is a plus.
- Scientific publications and communications in conferences as a first author. Open Access will be positively valued.
- Participation in research projects, such as European and national programs, multidisciplinary and multisectoral projects is a plus.
- Participation in mobility and internationalisation programs is a plus.
- Participation in activities of knowledge transfer, patents, licences is a plus.
- Experience in teaching and/or delivering training and educational activities.
- Experience and great interest in participatory methodologies that involve science educators, citizens, industries, policymakers and/or academia.
- Ability to use digital educative platforms such as MOOC, MOODLE, or similar, as well as digital visual collaborative platforms such as Miro.
- Excellent communication abilities and skills.
- Excellent organisational, problem-solving and analysis skills.
- Excellent writing skills to produce scientific reports and papers and any other required documentation.
English at a professional level, Spanish and Catalan.
What we offer
- Full-time position (40 weekly hours).
- Permanent contract (6 months trial period). The Torres Quevedo contract lasts for 3 years, but the position is open as a permanent position in the company.
- Yearly bonus related to pre-defined objectives.
- Possibility to work remotely two days a week.
- Flexible working hours.
- A young and motivated interdisciplinary team.
- Cosy office in the centre of the city.
- Coffee, cookies, fruit and other goodies.
- Career plan including necessary training.
- Professional and personal growth.
How to apply
- An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to the HR & Emotional Care Manager before February 6th, since the deadline to submit the Torres Quevedo application is February 21st and the right candidate will include his/her CV as part of the application process: Please send it to Nora Salas Seoane: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The recruitment process will start as soon as potential candidates apply to the offer. Interviews will take place before the 10th of February, when the right candidate will be selected.
- The company will get in contact with the selected candidate, advising on the next steps in the recruitment process. The application to the Torres Quevedo position is already written by the Science for Change Team, but the right candidate will have the chance to contribute to the project proposal. It is required that the candidate is available on the week of the 13th of February to complete the application process, together with the SFC team.
- Although the resolution of the Torres Quevedo postdoctoral contract will not be known until June-July 2023, it will be discussed with the right candidate the availability to join the SFC team as soon as March 2023, since the company plans to cover the position with or without a positive resolution of the Torres Quevedo contract.
- SFC already has a Torres Quevedo grantee since 2021, when our proposal was ranked in the number 5 of all proposals submitted in the selection process, so we are confident of a positive outcome.
Science For Change is based in Barcelona (Carrer Vilamarí, 50 – 5 min from Plaça Espanya). We combine work at our brand-new offices with home office too.