What we are looking for
We are searching for an enthusiastic, proactive and motivated Front End Engineer with experience React and/or Angular frameworks to become an in-house Front End Engineer of the App OdourCollect (and progressively new Apps and IT Tools to come).
In this role, you will develop the front end professional version of the App following our commercial, design and marketing strategies, jointly with a team of Back End Developers. This includes developing robust front-ends with integration tests and other functionalities, visualisation and reporting, integration with other data coming from different sources, communication capabilities and creative tasks.
OdourCollect is a LARAVEL webapp designed to geolocate, report and follow up incidents of odour pollution, with communities actively engaged worldwide. It is a citizen science webapp – Citizens can report quickly and in real time ambient odours, which are recorded at the time and place where they are detected to be included on a global map. The latest version of OdourCollect is available for use on the web, iOS and Android operating systems. The code of the App is open source and available in GitHub. We currently have more than 13.000 odour observations and more than 2.500 registered users, distributed in different countries around the globe. For the development of the professional version of the App, the use of the co-design methodology developed by SFC in the COS4CLOUD project will be considered, where users (citizens and other stakeholders, such as environmental authorities or odour emitting industries) and previous D-NOSES partners will be invited to participate to ideate the new features of the App (both in the front and the backend) following a user-centred perspective.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this job position, the candidate will become the main front-end developer of the App OdourCollect under the supervision of the Full Stack developer.
The work includes the following tasks:
- Building high-performance frontend systems.
- Understanding and applying common design patterns.
- Building a set of tools for data analytics and data visualisation by using JS visualisation libraries.
- Working in scrum Agile Methodologies, with weekly catch up meetings.
- Documentation in GitHub, testing and report on the progress made in the assigned tasks, achieving defined deadlines.
- Possibility to co-design parts of the code with international developers in the framework of the ECS project and COALESCE using the co-design methodology for IT services developed by SFC.
- Possibility of working with an external expert team of frontend developers involved in a parallel development project of the company, similar to OdourCollect.
Training and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, IT Engineering, Maths, Physics or related fields. Other degrees or qualifications would be considered if related experience can be demonstrated.
- 2 to 3 years of relevant experience with React and/or Angular and technologies REST, SPA, and all the languages associated with it, including vanilla JS and frontend technologies such as HTML, CSS.
- 1 to 2 years of experience with designing hybrid mobile applications.
- Experience with source code management (git) is a must.
- Experience with integration testing is a must.
- Experience with Docker is a plus.
- Experience with remote build tools and CI/CD pipelines is a plus.
- Experience with unit testing is a plus.
- Experience in working in an iterative, agile technology product development environment.
- Ability to use analytics tools to answer behavioural questions and drive design decisions (Google Analytics, Mixpanel, etc) is a plus.
- Understanding general hardware working principles is a plus.
- Knowing general ideas behind TCP/IP is a plus.
Nice skills to have:
- Experience with monitoring tools and data/logs analytics tools.
- Commitment with writing user and API documentation.
- Experience or contribution to high-profile open-source projects is a plus.
- Ability to estimate feature and project timelines.
- An eye for connecting user behaviour with simple, clean and intuitive UI.
- An artistic and/or aesthetic vision.
- Technical analysis, strong attention to detail, research and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and collaboration skills.
- A team player, someone people like to work with.
- Ability to cooperate with non-technical teammates towards a common goal.
- Someone who is great at figuring stuff out and gets things done.
- Good attitude towards change and uncertainty in agile projects.
- A person who cares about society and the environment and wants to make a change that connects with the company’s values. Are you a Changer?
English at a professional level, Spanish and Catalan are a plus.
What we offer
- Full-time position and permanent contract.
- Gross salary ranges between 25k€ – 30k€ annually (according to the candidate value, including his/her qualifications, motivations, soft skills and previous experience).
- Long-term projects (12m+) with great customers.
- Possibility to work remotely two days a week.
- Flexible working hours.
- Democratic management style & friendly environment.
- The company can also offer health insurance and other social benefits within the payroll (daily allowances, etc.).
- A young and motivated interdisciplinary team.
- Cosy office in the centre of the city.
- Coffee, cookies, fruit and other goodies.
- Professional and personal growth.
How to apply
- An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to the HR & Emotional Care Manager by Friday 14th, 2023:
- Nora Salas Seoane: email@example.com
- The recruitment process will start as soon as potential candidates apply to the offer.
- The company will get in contact with the selected candidates advising on the next steps in the recruitment process.
- Availability to join us ASAP (by July 2023).