What we are looking for
We are searching for an enthusiastic, proactive and motivated Back End Engineer with experience in PHP (Laravel), Python and Devops practices to become an in-house back end developer of the App OdourCollect (and progressively new Apps and IT Tools to come). I
In this role, you will develop the professional version of the App following our commercial, design and marketing strategies, jointly with a team of Front End and Back End Developers. This includes developing interactive capabilities and other functionalities, such as automatic data analysis, visualisation and reporting, integration with other data coming from different sources, incorporating automatic reporting per typology of users, communication capabilities, and incorporating machine learning elements to predict different events.
OdourCollect is a LARAVEL webapp designed to geolocate, report and follow up incidents of odour pollution, with communities actively engaged worldwide. It is a citizen science webapp – Citizens can report quickly and in real time ambient odours, which are recorded at the time and place where they are detected to be included on a global map. The latest version of OdourCollect is available for use on the web, iOS and Android operating systems. The code of the App is open source and available in GitHub. We currently have more than 13.000 odour observations and more than 2.500 registered users, distributed in different countries around the globe. For the development of the professional version of the App, the use of the co-design methodology developed by SFC in the COS4CLOUD project will be considered, where users (citizens and other stakeholders, such as environmental authorities or odour emitting industries) and previous D-NOSES partners will be invited to participate to ideate the new features of the App (both in the front and the backend) following a user-centred perspective.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this job position, the candidate will become a Back End in-house developer of the App OdourCollect under the supervision of the main Full Stack developer.
The work includes the following tasks:
- Building back-end high-performance systems.
- Planification and implementation of the codebase while the backlog is being updated.
- Building a set of tools for data analytics and data visualisation, by using technologies such as Pandas, Kepler, JS visualisation libraries, etc.
- Creating testing environments with respective automated tests.
- Possibility of co-design parts of the code with international developers in the framework of ECS project using the co-design methodology for IT services developed by SFC.
- Working in scrum agile methodologies, with weekly catch up meetings.
- Setting up the app’s observability: monitoring dashboards, filters, alarms, logging, etc.
Training and skills
We are looking for a proactive, responsible and methodical person with a solid background in PHP frameworks and all the languages associated with web technology: HTML, CSS, JS, SQL, REST, who feels good working autonomously while being part of a motivated interdisciplinary team, and who cares about the code under development to become a Changer for a better society.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, IT Engineering, Maths, Physics or related fields. Other degrees or qualifications would be considered if related experience can be demonstrated.
- 2 to 3 years of experience with Laravel.
- 1 to 2 years of relevant experience with web frameworks and technologies REST, SPA, and all the languages associated with it.
- 1 to 2 years relevant experience with Python or similar libraries/frameworks for data analysis and visualisation.
- Experience with source code management (git) is a must.
- Experience with unit testing is a must.
- Commitment with writing user and API documentation is a must.
- Experience in working in an iterative, agile technology product development environment.
- Scaling web/mobile applications while considering security and technical optimization.
- Experience with Docker is a plus.
- Experience with remote build tools and CI/CD pipelines is a plus.
- Experience with integration testing is a plus.
Nice skills to have:
- Experience with running production workloads on the AWS platform or similar (Google Cloud Platform, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.).
- Experience with monitoring tools and data/logs analytics tools.
- Experience with orchestration tools is a plus.
- Experience or contribution to high-profile open-source projects is a plus.
- Ability to estimate feature and project timelines.
- An eye for connecting user behaviour with simple, clean and intuitive UI.
- Understanding general hardware working principles is a plus.
- Knowing general ideas behind TCP/IP is a plus.
- Technical analysis, strong attention to detail, research and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and collaboration skills.
- A team player, someone people like to work with.
- Ability to cooperate with non-technical teammates towards a common goal.
- Someone who is great at figuring stuff out and gets things done.
- Good attitude towards change and uncertainty in agile projects.
- A person who cares about society and the environment and wants to make a change that connects with the company’s values.
Are you a Changer?
English at a professional level, Spanish and Catalan are a plus.
What we offer
- Full-time position and permanent contract.
- Gross salary ranges between 30k€ – 35k€ annually (according to the candidate value, including his/her qualifications, motivations, soft skills and previous experience).
- Long-term projects (12m+) with great customers.
- Possibility to work remotely two days a week.
- Flexible working hours.
- Democratic management style & friendly environment.
- The company can also offer health insurance and other social benefits within the payroll (daily allowances, etc.).
- A young and motivated interdisciplinary team.
- Cosy office in the centre of the city.
- Coffee, cookies, fruit and other goodies.
- Professional and personal growth.
How to apply
- An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to the HR & Emotional Care Manager by Friday 14th, 2023:
- Nora Salas Seoane: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The recruitment process will start as soon as potential candidates apply to the offer.
- The company will get in contact with the selected candidates advising on the next steps in the recruitment process.
- Availability to join us ASAP (by July 2023).