What we are looking for
We are searching for enthusiastic, proactive and motivated Atmospheric Scientist (with a PhD) with experience in the application of principles of atmospheric physics, dispersal numerical modelling and forecasting of atmospheric phenomena. PhD is mandatory for this job position.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within this job position, the candidate will become the principal Atmospheric Scientist of Science for Change. The candidate’s primary goal will be improving the use of dispersion models in the OdourCollect App, a web app focused on odour pollution which has recently received funding from NEOTEC programme. OdourCollect is a citizen science tool, citizens can register quickly and in real time the perceived odour observations, which are recorded at the time and place where they are detected. The main goal of OdourCollect at this point is increasing its capabilities and obtaining new and valuable insights from the already existent data through dispersal models, machine learning and related technologies. The candidate will provide knowledge to explain the atmospheric dispersion phenomena of odours, based on inverse dispersion models. He or she will work closely with a software developer, the field experts in different areas (such as odour pollution or citizen science) and the NEOTEC project manager. These interactions will ensure the proper evolution of NEOTEC and build links with other related projects. Finally, interaction with external partners from the consortium will happen in the context of several Horizon Europe projects of Research and Innovation.
The work includes the following tasks:
- Conducts research and analysis of odour inmission.
- Evaluate an atmospheric immission model to explain odour dispersion. The baseline input data for the model will be based on odour observations taken at the receptor by citizens.
- Technical analysis of odour observations in order to identify opportunities of adding value through AI/Machine Learning implementation.
- Proof of concept research and implementation of the aforementioned.
- Coordination with software developers and/or DEVOPS specialists in order to automate, serialise and integrate proof of concept work into OdourCollect.
- Interaction and support to external partners that collaborate with the different projects, providing feedback and support when necessary.
- Reporting in sprint catch-up meetings.
- Write the documentation related to the parts being researched and implemented in the different projects.
Training and skills
We are looking for a proactive, responsible and methodical person with a solid background in atmospheric science, who feels good working autonomously while being part of a highly interdisciplinary team. Requirements:
- PhD Degree in Atmospheric science, physical sciences, engineering or closely related field is mandatory.
- Experience of 5 years or more in projects with a strong component on modelling and forecasting of weather observations or wind physics is essential.
- Experience working with/developing probabilistic or dynamic atmospheric models and high understanding of atmospheric turbulence and material transport processes to micro – meso scale is essential (AERMOD, ISCST3/ PRIME, CALPUFF, TROPOS, SCREEN3 or CFD models).
- Experience in Python for Data Science and basic data visualisation is also required. R, Pandas, NumPy and either torch or tensorflow are needed but experience in more specific python tools is appreciated. Also, experience using Stata, Tableau, Matlab, UNIX/LINUX, C/C++/C#, FORTRAN, VBA, DELPHI or similar tools could be valuable, but not mandatory.
- An understanding or experience in odour would be beneficial but not required.
- Clean and correct use of Git basics.
- Technical analysis, research and problem-solving skills.
- Good attitude towards change and uncertainty in agile projects.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Commitment with writing documentation and reporting of performed activities.
- Ability to cooperate with non-technical team mates and a diverse group of experts in different areas towards a common goal.
English at a professional level. Spanish and Catalan are desirable.
What we offer
- Full-time position and permanent contract.
- Possibility to work remotely two days a week.
- Flexible working hours.
- Competitive salary according to the candidate value.
- Yearly bonus related to pre-defined objectives.
- The company can also offer health insurance and other social benefits within the payroll.
- A young and motivated interdisciplinary team.
- A brand new office designed to enable teamwork and cooperation.
How to apply
An updated CV and a cover letter (both in English) need to be sent to:
- Nora Salas Seoane: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with Isadora Jiménez in cc: email@example.com
The recruitment process will start as soon as potential candidates apply to the offer.
The company will get in contact with the selected candidates advising on the next steps in the recruitment process.
Availability to join us ASAP (by May).